January 11, 2011

Tuesday Testimonial: An Author's Playground

Writing became such a process of discovery that I couldn't wait to get to work in the morning:  I wanted to know what I was going to say. 
 ~Sharon O'Brien

I began a new story last night. I was going to put it off because I was just given some feedback on Remnant. Robison Wells read all 184,059 words (more or less) and amid his positive raves, suggested (among other things and without too much surprise) that I make it shorter. Much shorter. But that is a post for Monday Mess, wouldn't you agree?

In order to tackle the revisions of Remnant, I will print out the manuscript, put it in a binder, and grab the red pen. In order to do that, I need a printer. Which I have ordered. From Amazon.com. It's on it's way (thank you again, Shanda at LDS Womens Book Review, for the gift card I won over Christmas), but until its delivery, a story was circling, and I couldn't sleep until I had at least written a scene, fleshed out names, and landed a setting.

I love this part of beginning a new story. The very basics of creation. There is a shadow of a plot, yes, and since I'm a moderate outliner, that will come. But this is how I start. The scene in my head is written down. I don't know if it will be the opening scene, and it really doesn't matter at this point. Characters gain physical traits and adopt a certain sound, and attract a name, first and last. The scene becomes very focused on characters and movement and I wonder. Where in the world are you?

Yes, I talk. In my head. Okay, maybe I might whisper, but only sometimes. I think.

BAM. I know where they are, the scene opens up. Of course that's where they are and I think I'll have to work in a trip because it's been awhile since my last visit.

I stayed up until 2:54 am.
I'd forgotten how time flies when you're playing in your head. I woke up with the words I had written running through my mind, ideas shooting around in my periphery.

I LOVE THIS.

*REMINDER: Enter my 100th Follower Contest here! Comments below will also gain you an entry after you become a follower.

12 comments:

Jennifer Shirk said...

I luv starting a new story too! The whole discovery of it all! The very best part about writing--aside from writing "the end". LOL!!

Krista said...

I agree! Thanks, Jennifer!

Annette Lyon said...

You described it so well. I wanna start something new again right now, just for the buzz!

Mary Gray said...

2:54? Nice! And you still sound cheery the next day. :)

Shari said...

I love brainstorming a new story, too. It's so fun!

I have given you a Stylish Blog Award because your blog is beautiful and I enjoy your posts! Hop over to sharibird.blogspot.com to get it!

Krista said...

Annette, buzz is a good word! Or thrill! Yay!

Mary, I'm pretty sure I'll start slouching around 5:00, just in time for dinner, ha!

Thanks for the pretty award, Shari! It's great to get to know you better!

Shanda said...

You are most welcome, especially if it helps you get Remnant finished! I'm excited to hear you started a new one, too. Just hearing you describe what it feels like to start that new story makes me want to jump in and find out for myself. I've got two stories waiting in the wings. Guess I better call one to center stage. Your excitement is catching!

Shanda :)

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

That new story feeling gets addictive in a way. Hence why I have six stories on the go. I finally had to stop starting new ones and force myself to finish. There's joy in that too, luckily.

Unknown said...

I love that feeling, too, only I love it more during revisions when I can mold something good out of my mess of a rough draft.

Happy writing!

Karen Jones Gowen said...

You make it sound amazing! Oh wait, it is amazing, but sometimes I forget...

Kate said...

Thanks for sharing your process. Very helpful.

The Damsel In Dis Dress said...

What a great description of that beautiful moment of creation. Extra points for staying up till 2.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...