August 20, 2009

Music for The Orchard


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones
As I write, I cannot listen to music or television, humming, gameboy, or even gum-chewing. Too distracting from the movie I am watching in my head and desperately trying to describe with words. But I do listen to music when I am not writing; when I exercise, run errands, cleaning the house... I put together playlists like soundtracks, assigning a song as I hear it, for the first time, or an old song, to a particular place in the novel. It is not something I set out to do. It just happens naturally. Music is a huge part of who I am, a driving force.
Do not think I am a musician. I was once asked to stop playing the piano by the primary children as I tried to plink out a song we were learning when our piano player was a no-show. "Please, Sister Jensen, we can sing it without the piano." Hm. They were very polite.

There are three key songs I could no longer find on Playlist. My Sweet Embraceable You, by Nat King Cole; All We'd Ever Need, and Can't Take My Eyes Off You, Derick and Alisen's waltz, by Lady Antebellum.
I had written a waltz into the barn dance scene, and so it was in the back of my mind when I was finding All We'd Ever Need on Playlist. I had heard that one, and browsed around to hear Lady A's other songs. When I heard Can't Take My Eyes Off You, I couldn't believe it. It was a waltz, hard to find and SO perfect. It was the waltz they danced to in Ben's barn.
These songs are so utterly romantic, I suggest you look them up and have a listen. Here is a Lady A site with some samples. Wish I could find a feed to upload them on Playlist. Ah, well. I have the CD's if you'd like to borrow them. By the way, their number one hit, Run To You, was on the soundtrack for The Inn before it was even released, and One Day You Will is the theme song to the entire series. Yeah, I'm a fan.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...