January 13, 2011

Thursday Authorial: Mr. Monster

Before we get to this week's review, I want to remind you of my *100 Followers* Contest! We have two more days before the drawing for a $20 Amazon gift card! And look! We've reached 110 followers! Thank you! For rules (which are EASY), see here.

I Am Not A Horror Story Reader.

But Dan Wells' debut YA thriller I Am Not A Serial Killer was buzzing around the author internet and I bit. As tasty as that appetizer was, the follow-up in the series, Mr. Monster, lives up to its main course potential. Here is my review on Goodreads:

Mr. Monster engaged me, held me, and made me walk very fast when I had to park far away from the school gym and walk by myself in the dark to meet my family at a basketball game.


Again, sociopath John Cleaver is at once inviting and sinister, controlling Mr. Monster and tasting moments of "normalcy", struggling with the idea of being a hero in the name of small-town justice, versus what he knows Mr. Monster really yearns for.


It was a big "Oh no" moment for me when I realized John was no longer in control, and Mr. Monster was much more subtle than I thought him to be. Huge jump in my respect for the author at that point. Wow.


I like being surprised, and Dan Wells did a good job with that. Kept me on my toes. And creeped out.


I did want to see more emotion from Brooke at a critical point, more pause and tension built, but otherwise, a very satisfying (if you call being left on the edge of your seat with your fist clenching your hair and your jaw dropped open satisfied) read. Can't wait for the next one. I've got to see where this goes. I expect it will be grizzly. And a shock.


Being the hero isn't working. Mr. Monster is out.

*rubbing hands together* When's dessert?

7 comments:

Shari said...

You are a brave one. I Am Not A Serial Killer creeped me out. I didn't make it to Mr. Monster.

Krista said...

Shari, Mr. Monster is definitely creepier!

Shanda said...

I love your review of Mr. Monster. I don't read horror & the first book did really creep me out. Letting IANASK roam around in my head after reading it must have given me a taste for it though because I devoured Mr. Monster and I loved it. I am surprised at how much I have enjoyed this horror series, but it's so well written. I can't wait for IDWTKY. Reading all of the early reviews for it is torture!

Mary Gray said...

Mmmm. I look forward to reading this book.

A.L. Sonnichsen said...

Okay, I'm a little scared, but I just reserved this at my library. :)

Amy

ali cross said...

I have the first book, but haven't read it yet. I know! For shame! Gonna have to fix that, I swear! Great review, Krista!

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

I can't wait to get my hands on a copy. The first book was tantalizing and I'm ready for more.

Good review!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...