December 31, 2010

2011. Fear Not.

So many bloggers are posting lists to say goodbye to 2010. I knew I wanted to do something to celebrate and mark the new year, and I found a list I really liked. I borrowed it from Michael Hyatt.

2011. Fear not.

  1. If the last year were a movie of your life, what would the genre be? Drama, romance, adventure, comedy, tragedy, or a combination?
    • A comedic drama. Too many weird, unbelievable things happened alongside the really cool things. We were struggling and then laughing. I'm grateful for the laughter. It was like M.A.S.H.
  2. What were the two or three major themes that kept recurring? These can be single words or phrases.
    • Discovering potential. This seemed to touch each one of our family members this year.
    • Time, the spending and passing of it.
    • Overcoming lost innocence. That sounds a little mellow-dramatic, but where I used to think most people tried to see the best of everyone, I now know differently. I'm still going to try seeing the best. I'll just be more wary.
  3. What did you accomplish this past year that you are the most proud of? These can be in any area of your life—spiritual, relational, vocational, physical, etc. Be as specific as possible.
    • My second book was accepted by Covenant Communications. Woohoo!
    • I drove to Provo, UT for a writers conference and navigated around all by myself.
    • I submitted one more book and have another just about ready to go.
    • My kids all seem to be in a pretty good place. Praying we continue in that somewhat steady course.
  4. What disappointments or regrets did you experience this past year?
    • I had to turn down attending the Storymakers writing conference AND presenting at the Whitney Awards Gala. But it was for a really great reason!
    • The release date on my first novel was pushed back, possibly to 2012. That wasn't very fun.
  5. What was missing from last year as you look back? Look at each major area of your life. Don’t focus now on having to do anything about it.
    • More organization in my daily routine. Writing, homemaking, family, personal study.
    • More time spent with my youngest, teaching and developing her sense of self.
    • Date night with my husband. It's just not going to happen regularly while he is both school principal AND our ward bishop.
    • NEW writing! It was all revision and editing.
  6. What were the major life-lessons you learned this past year? Boil this down to a few short, pithy statements.
    • Fear not. Isaiah 41:10, 13
    • "The glory of friendship is not the outstretched hand, nor the kindly smile, nor the joy of companionship; it is the spiritual inspiration that comes to one when he discovers that someone else believes in him and is willing to trust him." -Ralph Waldo Emerson
    • Dare to dream. Then work.
As I sorted through my thoughts in answering these questions, I came to the conclusion that although 2010 was a trying year, it was also one of tremendous blessings and growth. It is done. I did my best. And honestly, I can't wait to see what this next year will bring. Welcome with open arms, 2011.

What did 2010 teach you?

4 comments:

Shari said...

Krista, I loved this post. I don't know how I would respond. I would have to give these questions a lot of thought. 2010 was a good year for our family (though not without challenges)

Mary Gray said...

Lady, you've been busy! So many books in the works! I'm impressed with your ambition and soo look forward to reading your stuff in print. :)

Anonymous said...

2010 was a very trying year. I'm so happy for the many successes sprinkled throughout your trying year, though. You've done well and I hope you're able to exult in that a little.

I'm like you, it was a hard blow for me to realize that not everyone chooses (or tries) to see the best in people. Sometimes, even people who should love you best refuse to see any good in you (or anyone else) at all. That crushed me but like you, I'm still trying to see the best. Even if others don't, I refuse to stop. God sees something good in everyone. I have to try.

Wishing you a year filled with success, love, and pink sunglasses.

Krista said...

Thanks, LT! Same to you. It's a fine line balancing trusting people without judgment, giving them the benefit of a doubt from the beginning, and being cautious about how you may get hurt. I tend to forget about the possibility of the 2nd part. Which is better?

Mary, I'm to the point where I'm beyond caring what people think of my stories and JUST WANT THEM IN THEIR HANDS! (I'm sure the anxiety will return when they actually do get out.) ;)

Shari, it was a good exercise, really did get me thinking. And it made me more excited for the new year than I thought I was.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...