February 19, 2010

The Struggle

"Drama, instead of telling us the whole of a man's life, must place him in such a situation, tie such a knot, that when it is untied, the whole man is visible." 
~Leo Tolstoy
I love reading books that succeed in revealing the main character's divine nature... but only gradually, or at the end. After battles, fierce gales, humiliations, pummeling of all kinds, the soul is found. At least I hope and cheer for it. It gives me hope. We all have our battles. Doesn't it help to believe they will make us more, somehow?
A few Battlers from my Goodreads Bookshelf:



What can you throw at your main characters to make them more complete? To reveal the strengths they are meant to wield? Who are your favorite battlers?

4 comments:

nephite blood spartan heart said...

I like to show bits of what makes them vulnerable (just a fraction) this often can be a place to draw strength form at the same time. Its all about context and faith for me.

Too many to list but I'll try and give a few.
Aragorn
Conan
Wolverine
Drizzt
Achilles
Thor
Kane
Long John Silver
Hercules
Uhtred

yes there is a pattern there.

Kate said...

Thanks for the book recommendations. I'm always looking for something good to read.

Unknown said...

Ooh! I love your list and David's! Harry Potter comes to mind as well. And Elend and Vin from Sanderson's Mistborn series. Great post!

Anonymous said...

I haven't read all of those books on your battling list but now I'm going to have to!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...