March 28, 2010

There Must Needs Be...

“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense.” -Winston Churchill

My mind has been on a lot of things lately, kaleidoscopic. My usual focus has been difficult to find. I know the reasons why and my scattered thoughts are completely founded.
Husband's new job.
New book.
The next book.
Upcoming travel.
New pup.
Older kids.
Younger kids.
Husband's church calling.
My church calling.
Volleyball.
Pain.
Opposition.

It is this last one that has had the most impact on me lately. As a matter of fact, never have I felt opposition so acutely aside the blessings.
But never have my husband or I been on the cusp of having some kind of influence on so many people. I don't say this to boast or put ourselves forward. It is simply truth. Somewhat scary truth. My husband has served as Bishop of our ward for 2.5 years, and has now been hired to serve as Principal of our city's high school. Be assured, whether appreciated or not, his influence will be felt. (I, for one, appreciate his influence... and his uncanny knack for musical trivia.) He was hired by a unanimous, across the board, resounding vote. The support of the community has been heartening as we wonder how this new venture will affect our family. We are excited. We are anxious. We are careful.
And I would be surprised if any new author did not wonder what kind of effect their book will have on its audience. There in the romance, the arc, the setting and twists; woven in like a thin ribbon through a thick braid of hair, is my testimony. I did not set out to do it, but there it is. It cannot be helped. I am, therefore I write. Or something like that. It will be out there for numbers to see.
Opposition presents itself in many forms, many degrees of subtlety, or not. Things come that might discourage, make us forget we are grateful, prevent us from enjoying the fruits of our labors. Things happen that would distract us from moving forward, fulfilling our purpose, or discovering our gifts. Some things leave us standing with our jaws hanging open. Sometimes outrageous, unbelievable, this would be funny if it wasn't really happening kind of things.
I was given a t-shirt. It says, "Careful, or you'll end up in my novel." Man, I am SO tempted.

As my kaleidoscope turns, I remember a few things.
  1. The light behind the confusion of shapes and color is one that will always be there; it is one I will always follow.
  2. We are not given anything we cannot overcome, but we do not (and should not) have to overcome it alone.
  3. We cannot let an aggressive mosquito or two, or a sudden downpour, ruin the entire picnic. It is too beautiful a day, and there are too many other wonders of this life that matter more.
What do you look to, to overcome discouragement in your writing, or otherwise?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I look to that same source and in it, find remarkable peace--regardless of the downpour.

Beautiful post, Krista. Congratulations to your family on these new ventures. My most heartfelt wishes for success in all you do.

DL Hammons said...

That was seriously a touching, affecting post. Thank you for that!

Good luck to your husband in his new position, and your family!

MTeacress said...

Lovely post Krista. That Winston Churchill guy, he was something, huh?
What do I do? I remember that if I'm getting a lot of opposition while trying to do something good, I must be doing something Really Good!

Gramma Spice said...

Beautiful entry. My book took off slowly and there was discouragement and doubt. Now doctors are recommending it.
We can barely keep up with orders...and the influence on others?.. well check for yourself at our site:www.msgmyth.com. Kris, THANK YOU again for your amazing artwork for the chapters. You helped make it happen 13 years ago. Your talents continue to influence and inspire so many others. So proud of you and Brandon.

Krista said...

Thank you, everyone, for your comments. And I'd like you all to meet my Mom, the beautiful Gramma Spice. Mom, I love it when you gush. Your influence is definitely one of honor and good sense (well, except for when you burned up the kitchen making french fries during a yard sale... you'll never live that one down)!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...