April 25, 2011

Monday Mess: Audience Feedback. Right.


I'm exploring a new genre with my new WIP. It's a genre I love to read. It's a genre my sons love to read. It's YOUNG ADULT FANTASY.
Now, I know that can mean a lot of things, but mine is Medieval Fantasy, in a parallel universe. There is magic. There are no magical creatures. Yet. I reluctantly asked the kids (who were trapped with me in the car this weekend as we drove to Grandma's house for Easter dinner), "Will I need to add a magical creature?"
The 12 year old, who was clear in the back, piped up, "YES!" followed instantly by the 18 and 15 year old who commanded, "NO."

Right.

I can't believe the self-doubt that is accompanying me on this one. I am really enjoying writing this and developing the characters and conflict. I LOVED creating the magic. The 15 year old helped me work out the war and politics end of things, and together we created a map of the countries, rivers, lakes, mountains. He wants to make a calendar. I have 61 pages and I plan on taking 15 of those to Boot Camp and the Storymakers Writers Conference in a couple weeks. I have no idea which 15 pages.

Because a member of my target audience (15-18?), my 15 year old son, is reading my story . . . and his feedback has been critical and helpful . . . he thinks I'm too wordy and yes, the female lead's character is a little baffling to him . . . but it's good and it needs something and . . . and . . . and I HAVE NO IDEA IF I'M DOING THIS RIGHT. Blah. Am I any good at this? Not just any good, but am I SIGNIFICANTLY good at this? Isn't that what a writer has to ask every now and then?

But I really am having fun writing it. I can't wait to get back to it. That counts for something, right?

Right?

3 comments:

A.L. Sonnichsen said...

Good for you, trying something new! And it helps to have all those critics/experts in the house. :)

I hope you had a happy Easter!

Amy

Melissa Cunningham said...

Oh, I hope we're at the same table! Mine is YA too. Can't wait to go! Can't wait to see you!

Krista said...

Thank you, Amy! I hope your Easter was sunny!

Melissa, It would be so great if we were at the same table! Gah! Makes me nervous just thinking about it. Yay, Storymakers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...